Re: (OT) gnash vs. flash (was Re: Why does installing gnome ...)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 20:55, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And yet me getting-old laptop is still snappy.  I think it's more that MSO
>> is written in absurdly-tuned C & assembler, whereas OOo is portable C++ &
>> Java.
>>

> Actually, MSO is written in a high-level language. I forget which, but
> it's not .NET. They do that because there are a lot of bugs, and their
> support contracts with large firms means that they have to address
> those bugs. There was a great article on it on some MSDN blog about a
> year or two ago. Also, I vaguely remember Joel on Software talking
> about the anatomy of a Word bug.

MSO (all versions) is almost entirely C++, like most MS programs and
Win32 itself. Most of the very low-level stuff (including the NT Kernel) is
in C.

The Visual Studio 2010 UI is written in .NET (WPF) (not sure about the
core), and is only the second major MS client-side program written this
way (Expression Studio was the first)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers