Re: (OT) gnash vs. flash (was Re: Why does installing gnome ...)

On 2010-03-18 02:41, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Thu,18.Mar.10, 03:07:12, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Therefore, I have no problem with proprietary Flash, even though I
understand the problems that it causes. I wish that more proprietary
software, such as Solidworks and MS Office, were available for Debian
or Linux in general.

Is there any real life functionality of MS Office that OpenOffice.org is not providing? My experience is that more than 90% of the users would be happy with Abiword+Gnumeric.

For "home users", you're right. It's in the professional world where it suffers.

The main problem is all the 3rd party applications written specifically for Word and Excel which have no analog in the OOo world. Also is the tight integration w/ other MSFT products like SQL Server, Exchange and SharePoint. There are slso some functions in Excel that are missing from OOo Calc, and Presentation probably isn't as full-featured as Powerpoint.

Lastly, Excel, Word, IE & Lookout just launch faster than Calc, Write, FF & Tbird.

I'd suffer though Tbird's bloat if it had a *direct* (not OWA) interface to AD, Exchange email and calendar, but there isn't.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.