Custom Label Software

I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making custom
labels.  Well, not actually making labels, but inserts.  Currently, I'm making
them completely by hand, which is long, tiring, and error-prone.  I take a
piece of US Letter paper (8.5" x 11") and fold it so that it is divided
roughly in thirds horizontally and fifths vertically, crease, and tear along
the creases.  This results in 15 blank inserts that are approximately 2+1/4" x
2+1/2".  I then add the text to the inserts with a pen.  Some inserts are
duplicates, but never a whole page, so it is important I can easily put
varying text on each insert.

What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing on 11"
x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3 rows and 5
columns.  Then, I could enter the text I need into each "cell".  I suppose
with my printer not able to do bleed printing on standard pages, It would have
to be able to handle a hardware-enforced margins along the outside of the
page.  It would be preferable if the software could also print very light cut
guides for when I get out the scissors or paper cutter after printing.

I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
unhelpful dialog.  It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
size, although it will let me put in a custom label size.  There is a "Avery
Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
my printer.  Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
incorrect.

I've heard on a KDE program KBarCode or something that is supposed to handle a
lot of this, but I've got no experience with it.  KOffice might also be an
option.  I'm hoping someone has some experience with a task like this and can
tell me not only what software to use, but a quick overview of the fastest way
to accomplish my task.