Re: Custom Label Software

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:54:44 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

(...)

> What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing
> on 11" x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3
> rows and 5 columns.  Then, I could enter the text I need into each
> "cell".  I suppose with my printer not able to do bleed printing on
> standard pages, It would have to be able to handle a hardware-enforced
> margins along the outside of the page.  It would be preferable if the
> software could also print very light cut guides for when I get out the
> scissors or paper cutter after printing.

I agree with the rest of the comments: Scribus or OOo Writer should do
the job.

But using a predefined template (template wizard) is not always required.
I have developed my own templates in order to adjust it to my printer's
margins but had to make them from scratch.

In your case, I can see some ways to achieve it:

1/ In Writer, by setting the page in landscape layout and inserting a
table (5 columns x 3 rows), specifying a 0.05pt light-grey border so you
can see a thin line in the printed page.

2/ If you need more control over each cell, then you can use "text boxes"
instead a table. Text boxes can be inserted from "Drawing toolbar" and
can be placed at any place in the page layout.

3/ Another option, which allows more control over all the elements
involved in the design, is Scribus (a desktop publishing software), but
if you are not going to use images or any other advanced settings -just
text-, I think Writter should be enough.

Gretings,

--
Camaleón