Re: Custom Label Software

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making custom
> labels.  Well, not actually making labels, but inserts.  Currently, I'm making
> them completely by hand, which is long, tiring, and error-prone.  I take a
> piece of US Letter paper (8.5" x 11") and fold it so that it is divided
> roughly in thirds horizontally and fifths vertically, crease, and tear along
> the creases.  This results in 15 blank inserts that are approximately 2+1/4" x
> 2+1/2".  I then add the text to the inserts with a pen.  Some inserts are
> duplicates, but never a whole page, so it is important I can easily put
> varying text on each insert.
>
> What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing on 11"
> x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3 rows and 5
> columns.  Then, I could enter the text I need into each "cell".  I suppose
> with my printer not able to do bleed printing on standard pages, It would have
> to be able to handle a hardware-enforced margins along the outside of the
> page.  It would be preferable if the software could also print very light cut
> guides for when I get out the scissors or paper cutter after printing.
>
> I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
> unhelpful dialog.  It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
> size, although it will let me put in a custom label size.  There is a "Avery
> Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
> my printer.  Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
> generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
> incorrect.
>
> I've heard on a KDE program KBarCode or something that is supposed to handle a
> lot of this, but I've got no experience with it.  KOffice might also be an
> option.  I'm hoping someone has some experience with a task like this and can
> tell me not only what software to use, but a quick overview of the fastest way
> to accomplish my task.

Hello,

Scribus may be the way to go for your needs, just google scribus + label
+ template should get you started.

With Ooo I used templates from
http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm a while ago, I
think the ".ott" format should open just fine in current Ooo3. Otherwise
you can search there http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/ .