Re: CD ISO images for the "testing" release

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:11 -0800, "John Jason Jordan"
<johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:38:18 -0800
> "Willie" <tumbleweed@fastmail.net> dijo:
>

> > > Now I'm off to try to figure out jigdo. Thanks for the link.
>

> > Now it's me who hasn't made himself clear. There's not much to figure
> > out.
> > First install the "jigdo-file" package as shown above.
> > In the second command, the URL (incorrectly shown on a new line) is an
> > argument to the command "jigdo-lite":
> >
> >    jigdo-lite <address of target file>
> >
> > You'll end up with a .jigdo file, a .template file, and the .iso file
> > you're after.
>
> I did find the .jigdo and .template files for testing netinst amd64,
> and I have downloaded them into a folder ~/Debian. But I am unclear
> about what to put in for <address of target file>. From a previous
> message in this discussion I thought it was
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.jigdo.
> But that sends me into a loop where it continually asks for an Ubuntu
> mirror. Why would the ISO for testing amd64 netinst be on an Ubuntu
> server? On the other hand, I am doing this from a computer running
> Jaunty, so that may have something to do with it. Does jigdo work only
> if the computer is running Debian?
>
> Still confused and still without a CD image for netinst of testing
> amd64. Luckily I am not in a rush.

You're trying to make it complicated when it isn't. You don't need to
download anything. Just install the "jigdo-file" package then run the
command:

   jigdo-lite <URL of required ISO file>

jigdo does the rest. There may be one or two initial questions about
preferred locations but just hitting return should work. It's easier
than bittorrent.