Re: Network Manager wants to access default keyring

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I have Debian Testing with the Gnome environment setup on a friends'
> laptop.  In an effort to make things easier to use I'm trying to stick
> with Network Manager because of the PPP support for the USB cellular
> broadband.
>
> Each time the computer is started (GDM auto logins to user) NM asks to
> access the default keyring.  How do I get it to automagically work
> without having to input the keyring password each time?
>
> Wicd does this automatically without this annoyance so how do I set NM
> up to work the same way?
>
> So far my searching hasn't found a good workaround.  Any help will be
> appreciated.

You are using Debian testing, so I guess you use NM 0.7.
If so, you have two options:

Mark the connection as system connection in nm-connection-editor ("Available to
all users"). This way the key is stored system wide (in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/). That's basically what wicd does.

The other option is, to use libpam-gnome-keyring. Set your keyring password the
same as your login password, and on login your gnome-keyring will automatically
be unlocked.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?