Re: Network Manager wants to access default keyring

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:29:26 -0500
> Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have Debian Testing with the Gnome environment setup on a friends'
>> laptop.  In an effort to make things easier to use I'm trying to stick
>> with Network Manager because of the PPP support for the USB cellular
>> broadband.
>>
>> Each time the computer is started (GDM auto logins to user) NM asks to
>> access the default keyring.  How do I get it to automagically work
>> without having to input the keyring password each time?
>>
>> Wicd does this automatically without this annoyance so how do I set NM
>> up to work the same way?

I think the difference is that wicd stores the networks passwords in
plain text in it's conf (/etc/wicd/), when NM is hashing them using the
keyring facility.
In the upcoming Ubuntu Karmic NM is still using the Gnome password
manager to store hashed passwords, but without the need to enter the
keyring passwd at connection time, maybe you could inquire how they are
doing it (some policykit magic I guess...).

Tom