Re: virtualbox: Install from backup DVD HP Pavilion

On Saturday 17 October 2009 01:58:41 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Matthew Smith <matt@smiffytech.com> wrote:
> > Quoth Mathieu Malaterre at 2009-10-17 19:10...
> >
> >>   I am trying to install a WinXP in my virtualbox from the backup DVD
> >> I made on my HP Pavilion just before installing Linux. Unfortunately
> >> quickly after booting fro, the 1st DVD it says:
> >>
> >> "Ce PC n'est pas pris en charge par les disques de réinstallation du
> >> système. Ces disques ne vous permettront pas de poursuivre la
> >> réinstallation du système"
> >
> > System restore discs for laptops are *not* the same as XP installation
> > discs.  I believe that they will often work only with the hardware for
> > which they are supplied; they check to see if they are being installed
> > on the correct hardware and will stop if they are not.  This is the most
> > likely reason that I can think of that you cannot install onto
> > VirtualBox.
>
> This is *exactly* the hardware it was installed on. I refused to wipe
> out my linux dist, to do the proper reinstall on physical layer, just
> because something is not forwared properly via the virtualization
> layer.
> I'll try on the virtualbox forum.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> --
> Mathieu

The best you can hope for is that the recovery/install windows disk will allow
you to create partitions. Mine allowed me to create a 'data' partition which
became my Debian install, Windows was installed on a 'smallest possible
footprint'.  i prefer vm's to dual boot myself.

--
Peace

Greg Madden