Re: virtualbox: Install from backup DVD HP Pavilion

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Matthew Smith <matt@smiffytech.com> wrote:
> Quoth Mathieu Malaterre at 2009-10-17 19:10...
>>   I am trying to install a WinXP in my virtualbox from the backup DVD
>> I made on my HP Pavilion just before installing Linux. Unfortunately
>> quickly after booting fro, the 1st DVD it says:
>>
>> "Ce PC n'est pas pris en charge par les disques de réinstallation du
>> système. Ces disques ne vous permettront pas de poursuivre la
>> réinstallation du système"
>
> System restore discs for laptops are *not* the same as XP installation
> discs.  I believe that they will often work only with the hardware for
> which they are supplied; they check to see if they are being installed
> on the correct hardware and will stop if they are not.  This is the most
> likely reason that I can think of that you cannot install onto VirtualBox.

This is *exactly* the hardware it was installed on. I refused to wipe
out my linux dist, to do the proper reinstall on physical layer, just
because something is not forwared properly via the virtualization
layer.
I'll try on the virtualbox forum.

Thanks anyway,
--