Re: bi-directional file-synchronization tool

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 01:40:03PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:03:47 +0200, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>
> >> This is mainly use to synchronize files and directories between my
> >> notebook and desktop (at home and at work). Any good recommendation?
> >> . . .
> > Hi, so far I have not found any nice and useful software that can do
> > this (I mean with gui and so on)
> >
> > The mentioned unison program failed the tests. May be rsync but not sure
> > it didn't do the things I wanted and I wanted to do it the way you can
> > do it in i.e. windows with some commercial software.
> >
> > I was also thinking unison is just the right thing, but then I noticed
> > it's not really syncing like it should and leading to inconsistency.
>
> Thanks for your feedback, Emanoil. Could you elaborate more? unison
> "looks" promising to me, and I've just learned that there are no ocaml
> runtime dependency for it on i386, amd64. So usability is the most
> important issue to me now. Anyone has positive experience with unison?

You may wish to read sections around:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_copy_and_synchronization_tools
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#list-of-vcs

If you use rsync or unison, I think you must have keep time correct.

Unison overwrite files.  So please make sure you have proper data backup.

Osamu