Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Emanoil Kotsev schreef:
can use. But *after that* (or after a regular installation using d-i),
there is no (officially supported, efficient) way to switch the
architecture of the installation.

J.

What do you mean "way to switch the .... ? You mean perhaps once installed
you can not easily switch. This means I would add i.e. a disk to my server,
boot in 32 as usual, partition, format and debootstrap --arch=amd64. Make
the disk bootable and reboot in this disk.
Actually by writing this I'm thinking that usually administrators do install
the system on extra partition(s) (/, /var, /usr etc) so I could use a USB
disk to install on it, reboot and after migration is done I could delete
the system partition(s) and copy the new system over from the USB disk.
That is of course quite possible. But the point was if 'updating' your system from i386 to amd64 on the fly, e.g. on the same partition, is possible without the aid of live cds and so on. As posted before, the answer is 'yes, but don't dare to try'. At least, that is my understanding.