Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Wed,16.Sep.09, 07:21:52, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   i've mentioned this before, but by the end of this week, i want to
>> move my entire current (fully-updated) lenny install from an old
>> 32-bit system to a new 64-bit dell server, and i'm open to advice on
>> the easiest and most error-free way to do that.
>
> Hello Robert,
>
> I see you already have the new system installed. Not very helpful for
> now, but for your next migration it might be easier if you first copy
> over passwd, group, shadow...  and then install the server packages (the
> ones that create users in the 101-999 range). This way you would be able
> to copy most (all?) data files over without worrying about UID mismatch.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Hi, this is a question I was going to ask in few weeks as I planned to learn
how I can migrate from 32 to 64 bit debian distro.

It looks like it's not possible to just upgrade i.e. replacing the sources
in apt/source.list?

Is it really that hard to switch from 32 to 64?

Is it not possible to replace the sources and i.e. dpkg --reinstall install
<package>?

thanks for the discussion

regards