Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>> bit. What you seem to be suggesting is different -- namely a
>> migration from 32 to 64 bit in place.
>
> exactly.  using dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections, i did a
> virgin install on the new 64-bit system to duplicate the packages on
> the old system, now i'm just methodically copying over
> arch-independent data and config files.  what you're asking is quite a
> different question.

You are right, that I'm not targeting the same approach. Migration of data
and services involves too much manual work. However I was thinking that
after replacing the package sources in source.list you could force
reinstall if every single package that has the status installed, pulling
from amd64 should bring the packages to the 64 code. For sure there would
be also some manual work to do, but less.

Do you think it's possible?

What I didn't think is that specific files like database files are probably
also using 32bit format.

regards