Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Emanoil Kotsev:
>>
>> You are right, that I'm not targeting the same approach. Migration of
>> data and services involves too much manual work. However I was thinking
>> that after replacing the package sources in source.list you could force
>> reinstall if every single package that has the status installed, pulling
>> from amd64 should bring the packages to the 64 code. For sure there would
>> be also some manual work to do, but less.
>>
>> Do you think it's possible?
>
> Don't you read the replies to your mails? There is no way to tell apt
> which architecture to fetch packages for. Not in sources.list nor
> anywhere else.
>
> J.

You mean that if I say

        debootstrap --verbose lenny testdeb/

There is no way to let it know that I want amd64... I've got the point!

I do read the replies. At least I believe so.

But then the installation instruction above should be possible to accomplish
if I boot from live cd (amd64) and execute from there.

Thanks for the discussion. It's really interesting to me, because I'm
planning such a move in the next few months

regards