Re: udev won't let me change my network interface?

On Tue,01.Sep.09, 08:07:00, C. G. Montgomery wrote:

[big snip]

Let's see if I got it right. You have:

- 1 DSL modem/router/whatever with 1 ethernet port
- a Debian computer with 1 (one) ethernet card/port
- a cable connecting the modem and the computer via the respective ports

Why do you want to put you configuration under eth1 if it's the *same*
card/port? I'm asking because eth1 should be the name of the *second*
ethernet card/port, should you ever have one.

If you just want to have the old config for reference or later using
just comment it out (place # in front of each line). If you really
insist on using eth1 as the name of the *same* ethernet card you could
just edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and change 'eth0' to
'eth1', but I don't see the point.

There is a way to have several names and configs for the same physical
network card, but have no idea how to do it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)