Re: udev won't let me change my network interface?

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:

> On 2009-08-31 20:35, C. G. Montgomery wrote:
>> I have a desktop computer running Debian testing (squeeze),  kernel
>> 2.6.30, with KDE 4.2.4. Previously it had been connected by ethernet to
>> similar machine using an interface eth0.  Now I want to connect it to
>> my new DSL service.
>> <snip> ...
>> I can find discussions of how to change the name of an existing
>> interface with udev, but nothing about removing one interface and
>> adding another.
>> Any suggestions welcome.  Let me know if other information would be
>> useful.
>
> Yes, udev controls the interface name, but it's based on MAC
> address, not IP address.  So, do you have two ethernet ports on your
> computer, and plan to use both at the same time?

No, there is just one ethernet port.  Eventually I will want to set up a
local network with several machines using the DSL, but for now I just
want a single cable from the DSL modem to the PC, and a single network
interface besides the loopback.

How can I specify the MAC address so it will be used correctly?

cgm