Re: udev won't let me change my network interface?

On Mon,31.Aug.09, 22:26:06, C. G. Montgomery wrote:

> No, there is just one ethernet port.  Eventually I will want to set up a
> local network with several machines using the DSL, but for now I just
> want a single cable from the DSL modem to the PC, and a single network
> interface besides the loopback.

And by which means is the DSL modem connected to the PC? (I'm guessing
USB). If the modem is not connected via an existing (and recognized)
network interface you have to make sure Linux has the drivers for your
modem. Otherwise you will have to connect the modem via ethernet (if it
has this option). It might help if you tell us the exact model of the
DSL modem.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)