Re: encrypted DVDs on Lenny

Johannes wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> That means if you want to play a legally bought DVD on your computer,
>> you either have to run proprietary software (which contains a licensed
>> descrambler) or you have to crack the CSS key using something like
>> libdvdcss. The latter may be illegal in some countries. But at least
>> here in Germany, where I think it is technically illegal, I have never
>> heard of someone being brought to court for using libvdvdcss.
>>

> Where did you get this information? I don't think that it is illegal to
> play a legally obtained copy of a DVD in Germany or within the EU [1].

Of course playing a legally obtained DVD in itself is not something
illegal. But technically speaking, in the course of playing it you may
break other laws, for example the DMCA which says if I am not mistaken
that breaking an encryption scheme is illegal. This makes it illegal to
write a player that circumvents CSS in order to play that DVD you
purchased. BS IMHO. Anyway, I don't know the law stuff regarding
libdvdcss2. I guess it is legal in some countries, and in some not...

G.