Re: encrypted DVDs on Lenny

Giorgos Pallas schreef:
Johannes wrote:
Jochen Schulz wrote:
That means if you want to play a legally bought DVD on your computer,
you either have to run proprietary software (which contains a licensed
descrambler) or you have to crack the CSS key using something like
libdvdcss. The latter may be illegal in some countries. But at least
here in Germany, where I think it is technically illegal, I have never
heard of someone being brought to court for using libvdvdcss.
Where did you get this information? I don't think that it is illegal to
play a legally obtained copy of a DVD in Germany or within the EU [1].

Of course playing a legally obtained DVD in itself is not something
illegal. But technically speaking, in the course of playing it you may
break other laws, for example the DMCA which says if I am not mistaken that breaking an encryption scheme is illegal. This makes it illegal to
write a player that circumvents CSS in order to play that DVD you
purchased. BS IMHO. Anyway, I don't know the law stuff regarding
libdvdcss2. I guess it is legal in some countries, and in some not...

G.
From the libdvdcss-faq (http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.php)
Is libdvdcss legal?

The use and distribution of the libdvdcss library is controversial in a few countries such as the United States because of a law called the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). If you are unsure about the legality of using and distributing this library in your country, please consult your lawyer.
So, ask you lawyer ;)

Sjoerd