Re: encrypted DVDs on Lenny

Girish Kulkarni:

> According to its authors, libdvdcss is "designed for accessing DVDs
> like a block device without having to bother about the decryption."  I
> don't want to do that; I just want to decrypt what I should be able to
> decrypt.
>
> Or am I getting things wrong here?

Yes. Almost all commercial DVDs, irrespective of their region code, use
the "Content Scramble System" to "protect" their content from being
copied or be played by non-DRM-compliant devices.

That means if you want to play a legally bought DVD on your computer,
you either have to run proprietary software (which contains a licensed
descrambler) or you have to crack the CSS key using something like
libdvdcss. The latter may be illegal in some countries. But at least
here in Germany, where I think it is technically illegal, I have never
heard of someone being brought to court for using libvdvdcss.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]