Re: encrypted DVDs on Lenny

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Jochen Schulz wrote:
Could someone help with playing encrypted DVDs on Lenny?

Do you have libdvdcss installed?

Thanks for the replies.  I don't have libdvdcss installed.  But now
I'm confused.  I thought I shouldn't need libdvdcss if my drive's
region code is set correctly, which it is now -- I have a region 5 DVD
in a region 5 player.

According to its authors, libdvdcss is "designed for accessing DVDs
like a block device without having to bother about the decryption."  I
don't want to do that; I just want to decrypt what I should be able to
decrypt.

Or am I getting things wrong here?

Regionset smoothly changed the drive's region code to 5.

Are you aware that you usually cannot change the drive's region code
an arbitrary amount of times? At least from what I know, in Europe
you can only change the region code five times after which it is
unchangeable.  J.

Yes, thanks.  I knew that.  Regionset told me that I have five chances
at changing the drive's region code setting, out of which I have now
consumed one.

Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish