Re: Grub2 made my systeum unbootable

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:16:34PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2009, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:55:21 +0300
> > Γιώργος Πάλλας <gpall@ccf.auth.gr> wrote:

> > Don't remember now about the boot message from grub, need to look, but if it
> > says grub instead of grub 2 in may be that the files installed are from grub2
> > but the boot sector itself is grub ...
> >

> I think this may be what happened. The first time I booted after the
> change to grub2 it was OK, but there was a message at the top saying I
> could or should do "update-grub--- something or other" to install it in
> the boot sector. I did that and then the problem appeared. I'm trying
> to find a way back but I fear the worst.

Don't fear the worst. This is a recoverable problem. You will have to
chroot into the system from your rescue disk and then redo the grub
stuff from there.

It's not really that hard, and a great learning experience. That said,
I'm not all that up on current grub stuff having used grub2 on only
one machine so far.

It looks like, from reviewing my notes, you need to chroot into the
system and redo the grub-install step that will write grub to the MBR
of the appropriate device.

and then it probably pays to do update-grub again just to make sure
that's all up-to-date properly.

I know it's all sort of vague, but hth