Re: Grub2 made my systeum unbootable

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2009, thveillon.debian wrote:
>> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>> Rashly, after today's upgrade I followed the exhortation in the grub
>>> legacy package to move to grub2. I now cannot boot at all; I just get
>>> the message "Grub" and nothing more.
>>>
>>> Looking at /boot/grub with my rescue disk I see all sorts of files I
>>> don't recognize but no menu.lst.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to restore things? Please don't tell me I have to
>>> reinstall!
>>>
>>> Anthony
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> when you end up with the "grub" message, what does it look like ? Is it
>> a succession of "grub" word or something like a prompt where you can
>> type something (try "ls" and "set" if you can type something) ?
>>
>> Most live-cd or installation disks will allow you to "boot from hard
>> drive" from their menu, maybe you can try that if you have such a disk
>> at hand.
>>
>> Tom
>
> It just says GRUB and I can't type anything.

grub hasn't been installed properly, you have to reinstall it from a
live-cd or use a tool like SGD (SuperGrubDisk)

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

No live-cd that I know of has grub2 support, only Ubuntu "Karmic Koala"
betas, and since your /boot/grub/menu.lst is missing even tools like SGD
may not be able to boot the system. You may have to mount your system
partition (or /boot) from the live-cd, and either recreate a menu.lst or
chroot to reinstall grub properly.

Tom