Re: Grub2 made my systeum unbootable

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:55:21 +0300
Γιώργος Πάλλας <gpall@ccf.auth.gr> wrote:

> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Rashly, after today's upgrade I followed the exhortation in the grub
> > legacy package to move to grub2. I now cannot boot at all; I just get
> > the message "Grub" and nothing more.

Don't remember now about the boot message from grub, need to look, but if it
says grub instead of grub 2 in may be that the files installed are from grub2
but the boot sector itself is grub ...

> > Looking at /boot/grub with my rescue disk I see all sorts of files I
> > don't recognize but no menu.lst.
> >
> > Is there any way to restore things? Please don't tell me I have to
> > reinstall!
> >
> > Anthony
>
> You don't have to re-install your system, that's for sure.
> Since you chose to upgrade to grub2, spend some time reading its
> documentation and then from a live cd that supports grub2 try to make it
> function.
> Needless to say, you can always revert back to legacy grub and rewrite
> menu.lst (I can't understand who deleted that).

‎there is not menu.lst in grub2, look in /boot/grub/grub.cfg for the current
configuration although it is generated from files in
/etc/grub.d and /etc/default/grub using /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig based on the
start of that file