Re: Sadly...

On 2009-07-21 18:04 +0200, Tim Tebbit wrote:

> Tony Baldwin wrote:
>> Using gmail, or any other webmail, is a poor excuse for not taking
>> two seconds to move the cursor and/or trim messages appropriately.
>
> Very well put.  Thunderbird/IceDove has the option to start your reply
> below the quote as does Evolution I believe by default.

Which is not really any better.  I've seen enough mails that consisted
of a two-line reply to a 200+ lines message, where nothing was ever
removed from the quoted text.  This style is even worse than
top-posting, because you have to scroll down all the way to the bottom
to find the few bits that the poster had to say.

The right position for the cursor when starting a reply is at the
beginning of the quoted text so that you can

- cut parts of it which are not interesting for your reply
- easily scroll to a position in the text where you want to start a
  reply, handy for the "inline quoting" style.

Sven