Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 14:02, Alex Samad<alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:57:44PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:39:16 +1000
>> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

>> > isn't this because it writes out HAL efi files ?
>> > /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi
>>
>> Not sure what you mean; I currently have xfce's automounting enabled,
>> and that file you mention is virtually empty (it contains a couple of
>> commented out examples, and not much else.
> I also have the xfce4 automount options off and it looks to me like it
> has set them in this file
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <!--
>  Some examples how to use hal fdi files for system preferences
>  You can either uncomment the examples here or put them in a seperate
> .fdi
>  file.
> -->
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <!--
>  The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other
> programs
>  that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount
> non-removable
>  media.
> -->
> <!--
>  <device>
>    <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
>      <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
>        <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint"
> type="bool">false</merge>
>      </match>
>    </match>
>  </device>
> -->
> </deviceinfo>
>

> What I was trying to suggest is that you were using hal even though you
> thought you were not.

Setting a volume manager/automounter not to automount may change
that file, but hal still does not do the mounting. I run Awesome WM, and
even with that value set to true, it does not automount - because there is
no volume manager. And a volume manager could ignore that hint from
hal if it coded that way.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers