Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

Celejar wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:58:12 +0200
Dirk <noisyb@gmx.net> wrote:

Avi Greenbury wrote:

What is the 'best part of Linux' that HAL neglects?

The ability to mount devices myself, or not.

This is just wrong; HAL *doesn't automount anything* on its own.  It
merely passes information to a *volume manager*, which can be configured
to do whatever you want.  I run HAL, and I've never had devices
automounted. When I tried once more, before firing off this message, lo
and behold my USB key did indeed automount, but I investigated and
realized that it was some component of xfce that was doing it.  When I
unchecked the box "Settings / Removable Drives and Media / Storage /
Mount removable drives when hot-plugged", the old behavior returned.

I am happy for you.

But how does this prevent me from having to install HAL?

The ability to do what I want.

Again, *what* exactly do you want to do that HAL is confounding?

I don't want to be forced to install and/or care about it.

Because I never did need it. I don't need it. I will never need it.

Dirk