Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

Avi Greenbury wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Geeez... the problem is that it was promoted to a requirement for running a Debian Desktop while there was no need for it in the first place with alternatives like Ubuntu or Windows(!) at hand.

Another problem are the people who think they need to turn Linux into something like a Windows to appeal to people who don't even care/know enough about which OS they use. By this HAL is neglecting the best part of Linux for the sake of "Linux, ready for the desktop?" headlines on Slashdot.

What is the 'best part of Linux' that HAL neglects?

The complete absence of automation if I choose not to want/need it.

The ability to mount devices myself, or not.

The ability to do what I want.

You keep coming back to this thing of being like Windows. That, in and of itself, is not a bad thing
> (there are at least a few things that
Windows got right). It is a bad thing if other things are negatively affected by being like Windows.

You've not yet explained what these negative effects are. Could you please do so without reference to Windows or Ubuntu?

Ok, let us assume I wouldn't be able to remove HAL from a installed Debian without breaking X11 permanently and I have a random problem (pick one from this list: http://www.google.com/search?q=HAL+problem+linux).

So I turn here and ask how to solve the problem.

The answers will very likely force(!) me(!) to learn to understand how to alter the HAL configuration while it should be possible not to install HAL in the first place if it wasn't made a needlessly requirement(!) for running a Debian desktop.

Is that enough of an answer or is there any HAL fanboy left who want's to battle choice?

Dirk