Re: [OT] Linksys wireless router on debian

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Raffaele Morelli:
1. assign a static ip to the WRT in the range of 192.168.1.0/24 but
different from the one of DSL modem

Most probably you will not need to do that since this is the default
behaviour of the WRT. The public (modem) interface gets its IP address
assigned automatically.

2. disable dhcp and routing on the WRT

Why?

3. connect the internet to the DSL modem and connect the WRT to the
modem using the eth ports (not the internet port on the WRT)

ACK. But to dial in, you probably have to tell the WRT your login
credentials. This is easily done in the web interface.

4. connect my debian box to the WRT and use dhcpclient to obtain a
valid ip address tunnelled to the WRT by the DSL modem

Ok, now I am sure you do not know what you are doing? :) But it doesn't
matter, just keep DHCP on the WRT enabled, plug in your Debian box and
try to dial in.

J.
I'm using that Linksys router, my setup is very simple
Internet ---- >Linux Router ----> Linksys Router
I keep the linux router in front for more flexibility ( tunelling, source routing , NAT etc ) , Linksys router does just dhcp and routing ( not NAT )
You could do the same