Re: [OT] Linksys wireless router on debian

2009/6/25 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:
> Raffaele Morelli:
>>
>> I bought a LinkSys WRT54GL wirelss router and I am going to configure
>> it to extend my DSL connection at home.
>> I am not new to debian but network(ing) skills are modest.
>>
>> Does anyone own this device and running debian?
>
> Yes, I do. I am running OpenWrt on it, though.
>
>> Any hint /solution about debian specific setup/trick is appreciated.
>
> There isn't anything Debian specific, I think. What exactly are you
> trying to do and what did you try? The only mildly frustrating thing to
> configure is WPA. If you are not the console type of guy you might want
> to install wicd (which replaces Network Manager) which gives you a nice
> GUI to set up your Debian system.

Let's say I am the console type of guy with wicd installed :-)

I don't want to do something special, just setup the WRT correctly for
my wlan so... mildly frustrating things to do.
Anyway I would like to learn more about routing/dhcp/lan configuration stuffs

> Oh, and with wireless it is generally a good idea to try it first
> without any encryption and if that works, turn it on.

> J.

cheers
-r