Re: connecting cable modem through usb port

2009/6/9 Sandip Sandip <new.debianuser@yahoo.in>:

> Is it that the modem is not 'installed'?
>
> Also, the same modem works without any username and password on another
> windows machine after connecting it on the LAN port.

While in parlance you can call it modem technically it is a modem only
if connecting through serial port. If it is connecting through network
cable it is a network device and your problem would be more in area of
setting up IP and ranges.

Its a cable modem. When I connect a Windows machine to it, I connect it on the LAN port (Network cable). Once the modem is on, I need no configuration, usernames, passwords, etc. I can access the net.

When I connect it to my Debian box, I need to connect it to USB (as my Debian box does not have LAN port - Ethernet cable), I am not able to access the net.

So, do I need to 'install' the modem so Debian knows there is a networking device on the USB port and then use pppconfig.

Apologies if I am not able to use appropriate technical terms.

--

Sandip

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!