Re: connecting cable modem through usb port

In <[🔎] 411728.34217.qm@web95107.mail.in2.yahoo.com>, Sandip Sandip wrote:
>2009/6/9 Sandip Sandip <new.debianuser@yahoo.in>:
>> Is it that the modem is not 'installed'?
>>
>> Also, the same modem works without any username and password on another
>> windows machine after connecting it on the LAN port.
>Its a cable modem. When I connect a Windows machine to it, I connect it on
> the LAN port (Network cable). Once the modem is on, I need no
> configuration, usernames, passwords, etc. I can access the net.
>
>When I connect it to my Debian box, I need to connect it to USB (as my
> Debian box does not have LAN port - Ethernet cable), I am not able to
> access the net.

Last I checked, while Linux will use the LAN side of such devices, the USB
side varies quite a bit, does not use the USB networking standard, and (most
likely) is not supported in Linux.

>So, do I need to 'install' the modem so Debian knows there is a networking
> device on the USB port and then use pppconfig.

Yes.  If you are attempting to use the USB side of the device, you will need
a special driver for your OS.  This is true even if you are using the USB
via Windows.

The bits that the device sends down the LAN port are not the same as the
bits the device sends down the USB port.

You might be able to get USB drivers for the device from the manufacturer.
If you are *very* specific about the device make, model, etc. you might even
find someone that knows about a Linux driver on this list.

Failing that, the device will work fine if you plug the LAN cable into the
Linux box.  You want to use DHCP to get an IP address.  Of course, this
would require you to install a LAN card in your Linux system.  If all you
are using it for is the Internet, a old 10mbit card should work fine; your
local hardware hacker may have one of those they will give away for free.