Re: connecting cable modem through usb port

Sandip Sandip wrote:
> Its a cable modem. When I connect a Windows machine to it, I connect it on the LAN port (Network cable). Once the modem is on, I need no configuration, usernames, passwords, etc. I can access the net.

What you have observed above is correct. I understand this as:

1. Connect your modem to your computer (if via LAN cable, no drivers
necessary, but drivers are necessary if you are doing via USB).

2. If your computer is configured to be a dhcp client, it automatically
gets an IP address from the modem. I think if the modem sees a dhcp
request, it automatically works in bridge mode. However, if your
computer sends out pppoe connection establishing stuff, the modem will
start to work in pppoe mode. But this based on the few modems I have
experimented with; readers: please correct me if I am wrong. Also, some
cable modems also get their connection via dhcp (their mac address is
known to the ISP and allowed to get an IP address, but I don't have
experience with cable modems).

3. USB drivers for Linux are very problematic. LAN connection is the
best choice in all operating systems. I would recommend using the LAN
connection. If your computer does not have a LAN port, it would be a
good idea to buy a cheap LAN card (most of them work out of the box with
Linux, but beware that some are notorious for not working at all).

> When I connect it to my Debian box, I need to connect it to USB (as my Debian box does not have LAN port - Ethernet cable), I am not able to access the net.
>
> So, do I need to 'install' the modem so Debian knows there is a networking device on the USB port and then use pppconfig.

Yes, Debian needs USB drivers. You need to search the web for
information on whether your particular modem is supported in Linux.

Regards.

ever having been read.