Re: related to mail servers, mta and mda

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a beginner's (no experience with setting up mail servers) query
> about MTA's and MUA's. I am trying to see if I can setup an mta or a
> related application on my Debian machine which is being run as a router
> for my home lan such that it can send email to an external email
> address. It does not need to receive any public email at all.
>
> I have already tried heirloom and I can send email to my gmail account
> if I put my gmail log in info in my mail's conf file.
>
> Now I am wondering if I can allow outgoing email (need to have port 25
> open?) with no need nor requirement to receive any in coming email from
> the WAN without having to use a particular email's log in info. The idea
> is that email from that machine (and perhaps from lan machines) may be
> sent to any valid email address with reply-to address changed to a fixed
> email address.
>
> Thanks.

I use Exim on my f/w on my router. It accepts email from all the nodes
on my home network and now forwards it to my mail server on my vps.
Previously, it forwarded mail through my isp. If I remember correctly
when sending mail through my isp the from header was always rewritten to
be from my isp email address.

If you have a static ip you may be able to send mail directly to
mailservers around the internet, however if you have a dynamic ip, it
will be blocked by most mailservers. Also your isp may block outbound
port 25 traffic. Mine just redirects all outbound port 25 traffic to
their mail servers. I get around this by having a vpn between my home
network and my vps.

I know you said you did not need to receive any incoming email, just be
sure to keep port 25 into your network closed.

--
James Richardson
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant