Re: [Partially solved] Re: Locale errors

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:10:54 +0200
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:

> On 2009-04-12 23:14:52 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > And here we have the problem!  I noticed that when I log in as root
> > directly, either to a getty or via 'su', then I don't see the problem.
> > It only appears in root shells obtained with 'sudo -i'.  'locale' in
> > the latter case gives:
> >
> > ~# locale
> > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> > directory locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or
> > directory LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_CTYPE=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_NUMERIC=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_TIME=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_COLLATE=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_MONETARY=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_MESSAGES=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_PAPER=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_NAME=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_ADDRESS=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_TELEPHONE=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_MEASUREMENT=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION=""en_US.UTF-8""
> > LC_ALL=
>
> Could you run the following command as root?
>
>   grep -r 'LANG="en_US.UTF-8"' /etc /root
>
> Perhaps one of the config files has LANG="en_US.UTF-8", which should
> be normally interpreted by the shell, but some other tool dealing with
> the environment (perhaps PAM-related) does that wrong.

As I noted in another message in this thread, the problem seems to be
with my /etc/environment:

~# grep -r 'LANG="en_US.UTF-8"' /etc /root

/etc/environment:LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

Commenting this line out solves the problem.  I have no idea how that
line (or the file itself - apt-file and dpkg -S don't show anything) got
there; I'm pretty sure that some script wrote it, and that I didn't
enter it manually.  Is this a bug in pam_env, sudo, or something else?

Celejar