Re: Locale errors

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:19, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been seeing all sorts of errors related to locales in the root
> account, e.g.:
>
> ~# man cp
> man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
>
> Or, while running aptitude:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>        LANGUAGE = (unset),
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = ""en_US.UTF-8""
>    are supported and installed on your system.
> /usr/bin/mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
>
> I've tried 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', and even purging and
> reinstalling locales, to no effect.  The only locale I have selected is
> 'en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' (that's the only one I've manually selected, and
> the only one uncommented in /etc/locale.gen).  Is anyone else seeing
> this?  Is this a bug, or some misconfiguration on my system?  Note that
> my regular user account works fine.

Oh man, I hate this one. I have had this issue several times in the past
but although I eventually fix it, for some reason I never remember how.

Anyway, to start with, what is the output of "locale", and have you tried
running local-gen (although I think dpkg-reconfigure should do that...)?

Also check /etc/default/locale

I hope some of this helps or at least give you other ideas...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers