Re: related to mail servers, mta and mda

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:53:11 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a beginner's (no experience with setting up mail servers)
> query about MTA's and MUA's. I am trying to see if I can setup an
> mta or a related application on my Debian machine which is being
> run as a router for my home lan such that it can send email to an
> external email address. It does not need to receive any public
> email at all.
>
> I have already tried heirloom and I can send email to my gmail
> account if I put my gmail log in info in my mail's conf file.
>
> Now I am wondering if I can allow outgoing email (need to have port
> 25 open?) with no need nor requirement to receive any in coming
> email from the WAN without having to use a particular email's log
> in info. The idea is that email from that machine (and perhaps from
> lan machines) may be sent to any valid email address with reply-to
> address changed to a fixed email address.
>
> Thanks.

I can give you a few suggestions, but email here won't be enough.
Read EVERYTHING you can find about mail servers.  Think 3 or 4 times
about setting up your own mail server.  The trouble is that if you
don't do things right, you can end up as an open relay.  If you have
static IPs, you can end up having your server blacklisted.  If you
have dynamic IPs, you may be blacklisted because of having dynamic
IPs, which may even happen for the same reason if you have static
IPs.  Many ISPs won't let you run your own servers.  Most "private
citizens" who set up servers, shouldn't.

Of course, you're free to do what you want.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

  --Justice William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court (-)