Re: To synchronize system time witn NTP-server with no winter time shift whole year - how to?

On 2009-03-30_18:57:33, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-03-30 17:47, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> The BIOS does not have a concept of time zone.  It only knows "seconds
>>> since it's epoch".  And that's (I think) translated to a struct or
>>> string
>>
>> True, seconds since it's epoch, but it's epoch is not Unix Epoch, and
>> all sorts of uncertainties and confusions arise because nobody knows
>> the "DOS epoch" of someone else's computer. What a mess! At least with
>> Unix there is only one epoch to argue about, rather than millions and
>> millions in all the Windows computers in the world.
>>
>> The implementation of time keeping in Debian/GNU/Linux is actually
>
> It's more Unix/Posix and RFC 1305.
>
> Whoever decided on an epoch of 1970-01-01 00:00:00 was extraordinarily
> shortsighted, though.  The OpenVMS epoch gives much more flexibility...

I'm not familiar with the OpenVMS epoch, but I don't believe
flexibility in a definition of a epoch can make it better. Where can I
read a discussion of the value of making a epoch flexible? And what on
earth does it mean to make an epoch flexible?

> [snip]
>>
>> Now, I want to stop arguing about the descriptions. But just one last
>> shot.  I believe it is factually incorrect to say that you 'lose an
>> hour' in switching from standard to summer time. It is conventional
>> wording, it is manifestly untrue.
>
> Besides, as Tom Furie mentioned losing an hour of sleep, what's really
> happening is that you are shifting/rotating your UTC offset by 1 hour.

Yes, Shifting/rotating is what I call changing the setting on your
clock.  Using words that suggest a break in the fabric of time vastly
over state the powers of Man.

>>                                   But if people say it often enough,
>> it becomes something that is used in syllogisms as if it were a fact.
>
> Most people are very sloppy at thinking logically.  [troll]Can women even
> do it?[/troll]

Progress! in coming to see my point. You can say things about women that
you cannot yet admit about yourself. :-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net