[Solved] Re: [OT] why does mutt ask twice for the password?

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I must admit that this problem is actually on Hardy. I am trying it here
> because:
> 1) I imagine there are more users familiar with mutt here
> 2) Users understand Debian based systems better here
>
> I hope people who do not want Ubuntu problems will spare me the flames
> while keeping in mind that I did try this on Ubuntu list earlier today
> (and, I faintly recall, a few months ago as well) with no reply. I hope
> to have better luck here.
>
> Finally, if nothing else, this might be an interesting riddle for mutt
> experts here.
>
> This is a bit strange thing for me. On a machine running Hardy, if I
> start up mutt, it asks for my password twice. I have tried to find out
> why that is so, but I am not sure what I am looking for.
>
> I check my mail from an imap server on our LAN in our univ. If I try to
> check the mail from another machine (not running Hardy, mostly Redhat or
> Mandrake), mutt asks for the password only once. So that rules out
> .muttrc (/home is same in all machines, it's networked) and the imap
> server and leaves the version of mutt. At least that is all I can guess.
>
> Any way to see what is causing this and how to solve this? The version
> of mutt on Hardy is 1.5.17+20080114-1ubuntu.

I think that it is solved. I tried searching google with different terms
now and after going through a few hoops settled on fixing the spool and
folder variables. Earlier, I had the following two lines in my .muttrc
set spoolfile=imap://imap.server.edu/INBOX.  # Default spoolfile
set folder=imap://imap.server.edu   # Dir. that contains all mail files

I just replaced imap: with imaps: and now mutt doesn't ask for the
password the second time.

Now if anyone can explain the reason behind this, it would icing on the
cake.

Thanks.

ever having been read.