Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:57:48 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> I had delayed upgrading to Debian 5.0, as people appear to still have
> problems with upgrading to Debian 5.0, so I thought that it would be
> better to wait until things had settled, with Debian 5.0, perhaps, when
> release 2 appears, or something similar.

While it can be a good plan to wait for a week or ten days and watch what
errors others are finding, waiting for a "release 2" or something like
that could be a long wait.

Many of the problems that arise when a new release comes out occur because
people don't read and follow the release notes that are provided online.
Not all, of course, sometimes specific hardware causes problems but most
of the time when a Debian "stable" release is made, it works.

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/releasenotes

[...]
> so I was recommended to change that to Ubuntu 8.04, which is probably
> the equivalent of Debian 4.0.

Incorrect. Debian 4 is the oldstable release of Debian now but it was a
"stable" release. Ubuntu 8.04 is the April 2008 release of Ubuntu which is
based on a snapshot of Debian Sid (the unstable branch) around that time.
They are not equivalent at all and the packages will be newer versions
than in Etch. Mixing package versions is one of the ways inexperienced
people get their systems in trouble.