Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:57:48PM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:16:31AM +0900, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> was heard to say:
>>> bret@bretnewworkstation:~$ cat
>>> /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop
>>> cat: /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop: No such file or
>>> directory
>>  Looks like you don't have that file at all.
>>> From history in Synaptic;
>>> "Commit Log for Mon Mar  2 13:41:22 2009
>>> Installed the following packages:
>>> fgfs-base (0.9.10-1)
>>> flightgear (0.9.10-2)
>>              ^^^^^^^^
>>  That's the package from etch, which is now obsolete.
> I did say, in the intitial posting, at the start of the thread, that I
> am running Debian 4.0.

Ah, sorry, I missed that when I replied earlier.  Mea culpa.  I'm still using
etch for a few servers, too, but none of them has flightgear installed ;)

> I had delayed upgrading to Debian 5.0, as people appear to still have
> problems with upgrading to Debian 5.0, so I thought that it would be
> better to wait until things had settled, with Debian 5.0, perhaps, when
> release 2 appears, or something similar.

I downloaded the package from lenny, and the .desktop file is really simple.
I've attached it to this email.  Just save the file, and then:

$ sudo mv /path/to/the/flightgear.desktop /usr/share/applications

(assuming you use sudo)

I'm not sure if you have to run any update-* commands after adding the file.
Hopefully someone else can help out with that one.

Sorry again for the bunk advice earlier.

Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students
University of Waterloo
p: (519) 888-4567 x36329