Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:57:48PM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:16:31AM +0900, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> was heard to say:
>>> bret@bretnewworkstation:~$ cat
>>> /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop
>>> cat: /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop: No such file or
>>> directory
>>
>>  Looks like you don't have that file at all.
>>
>>> From history in Synaptic;
>>>
>>> "Commit Log for Mon Mar  2 13:41:22 2009
>>>

>>> Installed the following packages:
>>> fgfs-base (0.9.10-1)
>>> flightgear (0.9.10-2)
>>              ^^^^^^^^
>>
>>  That's the package from etch, which is now obsolete.
>
> I did say, in the intitial posting, at the start of the thread, that I
> am running Debian 4.0.

Ah, sorry, I missed that when I replied earlier.  Mea culpa.  I'm still using
etch for a few servers, too, but none of them has flightgear installed ;)

> I had delayed upgrading to Debian 5.0, as people appear to still have
> problems with upgrading to Debian 5.0, so I thought that it would be
> better to wait until things had settled, with Debian 5.0, perhaps, when
> release 2 appears, or something similar.

I downloaded the package from lenny, and the .desktop file is really simple.
I've attached it to this email.  Just save the file, and then:

$ sudo mv /path/to/the/flightgear.desktop /usr/share/applications

(assuming you use sudo)

I'm not sure if you have to run any update-* commands after adding the file.
Hopefully someone else can help out with that one.

Sorry again for the bunk advice earlier.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students