Adding installed packages to menu

Hello.

I am using Debian 4.0.

How do I add installed packages to the Applications menu hierarchy?

Synaptic installs then loses packages; it downloads and installs a package and its dependencies, and then, when queried, it shows the package and its dependancies to be installed, but it does not add the packages to the menu, and, in the Properties dialogue box in Synaptic, it shows the application category, where I assume that the application should be added to the Applications menu hierarchy; under the label of Section, on the Common tab, but it does not show anything like a path to the package executable file, so, basically, the package gets installed and then lost, so it cannot be used.

I cannot find any means of doing something like right-clicking on the Applications label in the taskbar and it returning a menu with something like "Update menues", to add installed packages that have not been automatically added to the Applications menues.

On another system, on which I have Ubuntu installed, when Ubuntu installs the package, it automatically adds it to the appropriate category in the Applications menu, so that the package can be used as soon as it is installed.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale