Re: Lenny stable. How to find wmsm WindowMaker applet?

Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>> Would you please help me to install that little one? KPackage also
>>> gave me nothing.
>> You would first need to convert the RPM package to a deb package using alien
>> (see the package named 'alien').
>>
>> Then you would install the resulting .deb using 'dpkg -i packagename.deb'.
>
> Thanks for the hint!
>
> # apt-get install alien
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
[... a ton of dependencies ...]

> And if I trying to install any few packages more from 'suggested'
> section, that process of never-end dependences have promise to
> 'convert' my end-user computer into developer station :)
>
> I am just trying to install a tiny prog about 20kb in weight :) Do I
> really need 100+ megs of something I will never use to have it done :)
> ?
> Is that possible to do this "convert" operation online?
>
> "To build, or do not to build?" :)

Wow, yeah, it's not worth installing all of that just for this program.

What you should do is file a Request For Packaging (RFP) bug against the wnpp
package. That way hopefully some developer will take the time to create an
official Debian package and upload it to the repositories. (See
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/)

But in the mean time I've built you a package (I'm assuming you are using an
i386 processor): http://mretc.net/~cris/tmp/wmsm_0.2.1-1_i386.deb

All it installs is the single (12KB) executable to /usr/X11R6/bin/wmsm

To install it just run, as root, 'dpkg -i wmsm_0.2.1-1_i386.deb'

Hope that helps!

- Chris B