Re: Lenny stable. How to find wmsm WindowMaker applet?

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Chris Burkhardt <chris@> wrote:
> Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>> You may try and install the RPM, it has few depends.
>>> http://rpmseek.com/rpm-dl/wmsm-0.2.0-alt1.i586.html?hl=com&cbd=0:W:120:1859264:48:0:0
>>
>> Thanks, for the tip! I have got one here:
>> http://search.linux.kiev.ua/server/ftp.linux.kiev.ua/browse/pub/Linux/ALT/Sisyphus/files/i586/RPMS/?page=239
>>
>> Their main FTP server seems to be down for the moment.
>>
>> Here is a log my attempt:
>>
>> # aptitude install wmsm-0.2.1-alt2.i586.rpm
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Reading extended state information
>> Initializing package states... Done
>> Writing extended state information... Done
>> Reading task descriptions... Done
>> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
>> "wmsm-0.2.1-alt2.i586.rpm"
>> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
>> "wmsm-0.2.1-alt2.i586.rpm"
>> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
>> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>> Writing extended state information... Done
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Reading extended state information
>> Initializing package states... Done
>> Reading task descriptions... Done
>>
>> Would you please help me to install that little one? KPackage also
>> gave me nothing.
>
> You would first need to convert the RPM package to a deb package using alien
> (see the package named 'alien').
>
> Then you would install the resulting .deb using 'dpkg -i packagename.deb'.

Thanks for the hint!

# apt-get install alien
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  binutils build-essential debhelper dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.3 gcc gcc-4.3 html2text
  intltool-debian libbeecrypt6 libc6-dev libcompress-raw-zlib-perl
  libcompress-zlib-perl libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-sha1-perl
libfile-remove-perl
  libio-compress-base-perl libio-compress-zlib-perl libmail-box-perl
  libmail-sendmail-perl libmime-types-perl
libobject-realize-later-perl librpm4.4
  libstdc++6-4.3-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libuser-identity-perl
linux-libc-dev
  make po-debconf rpm
Suggested packages:
  lsb-rpm lintian binutils-doc dh-make debian-keyring g++-multilib
g++-4.3-multilib
  gcc-4.3-doc libstdc++6-4.3-dbg gcc-multilib manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9
  libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.3-multilib libmudflap0-4.3-dev
  gcc-4.3-locales libgcc1-dbg libgomp1-dbg libmudflap0-dbg glibc-doc
  libhtml-format-perl spamassassin libmail-imapclient-perl libstdc++6-4.3-doc
  make-doc

And if I trying to install any few packages more from 'suggested'
section, that process of never-end dependences have promise to
'convert' my end-user computer into developer station :)

I am just trying to install a tiny prog about 20kb in weight :) Do I
really need 100+ megs of something I will never use to have it done :)
?
Is that possible to do this "convert" operation online?

"To build, or do not to build?" :)
--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein