Re: security (malware) issues in Linux bases OSes

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:48:37 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Anyway, twice in the past few years, Debian servers have been
> compromised.  One time it was thru a weak DD user password,

You implication seems to be "Debian is not secure enough", but my conclusion
from above incident is quite the opposite from yours -- Debian is *amazingly*
secure.

If a Windoze PC is taken over by someone or some new malware that no
existing anti-virus software can detect, how soon can a normal Windows user
notice it? how soon can a experienced Windows admin, who is not working on
the box notice it? Make a rough guess and read the aforementioned intrusion
incident in Debian again. I don't know about you, but I was totally amazed
that two Debian admins in two different corners of the world noticed the
sign of intrusion at the first moment!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/