Re: security (malware) issues in Linux bases OSes

Ron Johnson wrote:

> *Maybe* not on Debian, since Debian users *tend* to be more

Yup, I agree.

> sophisticated, but what's to stop Joe Wannabe from doing this?
>
>     $ sudo dpkg -i NakedBrittany.deb

This is more likely since some of the present day popular packages are
commonly downloaded as debs and installed (Skype, brand new versions of
Openoffice.org).

To me, it looks like the only viable solution is to go for only open
source stuff which is hosted on the distro's official mirrors (Debian,
Ubuntu) where the packages are signed. Any departure from this is just
inviting Average Joe to cause trouble.

> Anyway, twice in the past few years, Debian servers have been
> compromised.  One time it was thru a weak DD user password, and the
> other thru a poorly-working (official) Debian patch to ssh. (Or was it
> SSL?)  That last one caused more than a minor ruckus.

It was SSL. I think it is described here:
http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571

ever having been read.