Re: security (malware) issues in Linux bases OSes

On 02/15/2009 11:39 PM, T o n g wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:48:37 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

Anyway, twice in the past few years, Debian servers have been
compromised.  One time it was thru a weak DD user password,

You implication seems to be "Debian is not secure enough",

"Debian" can be made just as insecure as Windows.  Anyway...

No, you are wrong. I was replying to your inference that package signing makes everything ok.

                                                            but my conclusion
from above incident is quite the opposite from yours -- Debian is *amazingly*
secure.

If a Windoze PC is taken over by someone or some new malware that no
existing anti-virus software can detect, how soon can a normal Windows user
notice it? how soon can a experienced Windows admin, who is not working on
the box notice it? Make a rough guess and read the aforementioned intrusion
incident in Debian again. I don't know about you, but I was totally amazed
that two Debian admins in two different corners of the world noticed the
sign of intrusion at the first moment!

Sure, admins watching an important server. But how many of us run IDS on our home boxes? Certainly not I...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification