security (malware) issues in Linux bases OSes

Hello,

In the last some weeks I recall reading in one of the mailing lists that
it is just a matter of popularity that we are not seeing bad intentioned
debs or rpms on the internet. If Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora were to become
sufficiently popular, the claim is that it would be just as easy and
popular to infect these OSes by making a user install something like
NakedBrittany.deb as is now the case with Windows users.

I realize that a clueless user is always going to be weakest link in the
fence against malware infection.

Just wanted to throw this question out here to see what opinions various
people have. What if such malicious deb or rpm is made available? How
bad it would be for the same user as compared to similar malware in
Windows case? Let us assume that the user has sudo access in Linux and
has admin privileges in Windows.

ever having been read.