Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:07:37 +1100, "Alex Samad" <alex@samad.com.au>
said:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:46:08PM -0800, whollygoat@letterboxes.org
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:45:56 +0000, "John Robinson"
> > <john.robinson@anonymous.org.uk> said:
> > > On 09/01/2009 02:41, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > But, this has all become moot anyway.  When I put the original, smaller
> > drives back in, hoping to do the grow op overagain, I was faced with a
> > similar problem assembling the array, so I'm guessing the problem
> > caused by something other than the grow.  I put the larger drives in,
> > zeroed them, and am in the process of recreating the array and
> > file systems to be populated from backups.
>
> just fell into same boat, 3 drives in a 10 drive raid6 died at the same
> time on me, and I was unable to recreate the raid6 :( so back to the
> backup machine :)
>
> to answer your question about the smaller disks, there is an option with
> create that says the drives are okay and not to prep them
>
> --assume-clean
>
> so you can recreate the array without over writing stuff

I wonder if that would have helped with the larger drives.  Too late:)
The smaller drives shouldn't have been bad.  All I did to them was fail
them one by one and replace them with the larger ones.  I was only
trying to assemble them not recreate anything.  Thanks anyway.  The docs
left some doubt in my mind about --assume-clean.  I'll keep that in
mind for the future.

cheers,

wg
--